Dukan Diet Consolidation Phase
Now that you have the weight loss results you aimed for it is now time for the consolidation phase of the dukan diet plan. This is a very important phase that many other diets just don’t have. This is the phase that is going to make the adjustment your body needs in order to not put the weight back on. You begin the consolidation phase once you have reached your goal weight. You need to remain on this phase for five days for every 0.5 kilograms that you have lost.
The consolidation phase will allow you to add some other foods back into your diet but you are still not free to eat anything you want. You can continue to eat as much protein and as many vegetables as you want, and you can also add the following foods to your diet:
- one serving of fruit per day (although it is best to stay away from high sugar foods like bananas, cherries, grapes and dried fruits)
- two slices of wholemeal bread per day which can be spread with low fat butter
- one serving of hard cheese per day (but not blue cheese, soft cheese or goats cheese)
- one serving of starchy food per week in the first half of the consolidation phase and increase to two servings per week during the second half of this phase
- you can now include lamb, roast pork and ham to your meat repertoire once or twice a week
- one celebration meal a week in the first half of the consolidation phase and increase to two celebration meals a week during the second half of this phase.
With the introduction of a celebration meal a week you can eat whatever you like during this meal and it is good to choose the foods that you have missed the most during your weight loss period.
You need to have just one day a week of pure protein only, this will ensure that you won’t put back on your weight.
You need to continue to have two tablespoons of oat bran a day.
You will need to have a 25 minute brisk walk a day – or more if you enjoy walking.
The consolidation phase is needed for continued weight management as it is the time of adjustment for your body and it’s metabolism so it will stop craving the foods you use to eat and it will stop trying to put that weight back on.